68 | Independent
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Director since: 2006
Anne is a lawyer and corporate director and brings a rich and broad perspective on business and governance to Cameco’s board through her work experience and distinguished career in public service and higher education in Canada. Anne held a number of ministerial portfolios and also served as former deputy prime minister of Canada.
Key Skills and Experience
- Board / corporate governance
- Stakeholder relations / government / public policy
- Legal / regulatory
- Human resources and executive compensation
- Enterprise leadership
As of April 5, 2019
The Honourable Anne McLellan has served as the Chancellor of Dalhousie University since May 2015. She is a former deputy prime minister of Canada and has held several senior cabinet positions, including federal Minister of Natural Resources, Minister of Health, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and federal interlocutor of Métis and non-status Indians. She previously served as a distinguished scholar in residence at the University of Alberta in the Alberta Institute for American Studies and is a senior advisor at the national law firm Bennett Jones LLP.
Anne holds a bachelor of arts degree and a law degree from Dalhousie University, and a master of laws degree from King’s College, University of London. In addition to her extensive experience in federal administration and policy, Anne is the board chair of Pearson College and is also the chair of the board for the Institute for Research and Public Policy, a non-partisan think tank based in Montreal. Anne served on the board of the Edmonton Regional Airport Authority, Canada's fifth largest airport, from 2008 to 2015 where she served as chair of the governance and compensation committee. Anne served as chair of the environment, health, safety and security committee at Agrium Inc. prior to its merger with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
Board and Committee Membership and Attendance
As of December 31, 2018
|2018 Voting Results||Board and Committee Membership||Regular||Special||Overall|
|95.9% votes for||Board of directors||8 of 8||1 of 3*||82%|
|4.1% votes withheld||Human resources and compensation||5 of 5||1 of 1||100%|
|Nominating, corporate governance and risk (chair)||5 of 5||2 of 2||100%|
* Anne missed two special meetings because of short notice. Subsequent to each meeting, she was briefed on the business conducted at the meeting.
Other Public Company Boards in the Past Five Years
|Nutrien Ltd.*(TSX)||2018 to present|
* Anne was a director of Agrium Inc., a predecessor company to Nutrien Ltd., from 2006 to 2017, and serves as a director of the newly-formed company following the merger with PotashCorp. on January 1, 2018.
As of December 31, 2018
|Year||Cameco Shares||DSUs||Total Shares
|Total Value of
Shares and DSUs
|Multiple of 2018
1. For evaluating compliance with Cameco’s share ownership guidelines, Anne’s shares and DSUs held at December 31, 2018 are valued at $1,090,737 and represent 5.5x the board member retainer of $200,000.