Age 62 | Independent
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
Director since: 2016
Key Skills and Experience
- Enterprise leadership
- Human resources and executive
- International business
- Investments / mergers and acquisitions
- Safety, health and environment /
Don brings many years of experience as a business executive in Canada’s resource industry to Cameco’s board as well as valuable insights into emerging Asian markets where Cameco does business. He serves on three of our committees, including as chair of the human resources and compensation committee.
As of March 10, 2020
Don Kayne is the president and CEO of Canfor Corporation and the CEO of Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated. He serves as a director of both Canfor companies.
Don has extensive experience in international marketing. He has spent his entire career at Canfor, starting out as a regional sales representative in 1979. Prior to being appointed CEO, Don spent 10 years as Canfor’s vice-president of sales and marketing, and is one of the lead architects of the market for British Columbia lumber in China. Don’s work growing markets for Canfor products around the world has provided him with deep connections to markets and customers in every region Canfor serves.
Don is a director of the Bi-National Softwood Lumber Council, Forest Products Association of Canada, Council of Forest Industries, Alberta Forest Products Association and the BC Lumber Trade Council. Don is vice chair of the Bi-National Softwood Lumber Council and serves as chair of its programs committee. He is an audit committee member and the former board chair of the Forest Products Association of Canada. He is also chair of the charitable organization Educating Girls of Rural China Foundation, which works to transform the lives of women and communities in rural areas of western China by providing access to education. Don brings experience in human resources and executive compensation through his senior executive roles at Canfor.
Board and Committee Membership and Attendance
As of December 31, 2019
|2019 Voting Results||Board and Committee Membership||Regular||Special||Overall|
|90.9% votes for||Board of directors||6 of 7*||1 of 1||88%|
|9.1% votes withheld||Human resources and compensation (chair)||4 of 4||100%|
|Reserves oversight||2 of 2||1 of 1||100%|
|Safety, health and environment||4 of 4||1 of 1||100%|
* For the meeting Don was unable to attend, he participated in an intensive briefing and discussion on the content of the meeting with senior management.
Other Public Company Boards in the Past Five Years
|Canfor Corporation* (TSX)||2017 to present|
|Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated* (TSX)||2017 to present|
* Canfor Corporation holds a controlling interest in Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated. The entities share an executive team and committee assignments, and board meetings are held concurrently.
As of December 31, 2019
|Year||Cameco Shares||DSUs||Total Shares
|Market Value of
Shares and DSUs
|Multiple of 2019
1. For evaluating compliance with Cameco’s share ownership guidelines, Don’s DSUs held at December 31, 2019 are valued at $909,801 and represent 4.5x the board member retainer of $200,000.