Age 65 | Independent
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
Director since: 2016
Key Skills and Experience
- Business growth and transformation
- Executive leadership and strategy
- International business
- Operational excellence and safety
- People and compensation
Don brings many years of experience as a business executive in Canada’s resource industry to Cameco’s board as well as valuable insights into emerging Asian markets where Cameco does business. He serves on two of our committees, including as chair of the human resources and compensation committee.
As of March 13, 2023
Don Kayne is the president and CEO of Canfor Corporation and the former CEO of Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated (2012 to 2022). He serves as a director of both Canfor companies.
Don has extensive experience in international marketing. He has spent his entire career at Canfor, starting out as a regional sales representative in 1979. Prior to being appointed CEO, Don spent 10 years as Canfor’s vice-president of sales and marketing, and is one of the lead architects of the market for British Columbia lumber in China. Don’s work in growing markets for Canfor products around the world has provided him with deep connections to markets and customers in every region Canfor serves.
Don is a director of the private company, VIDA Corporation, a Swedish wood products company of which Canfor owns 70%. He serves the forestry industry in many capacities, including numerous current and past leadership positions with provincial, national and international forestry-related associations and organizations. He is an International Fellow of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences and a patron of the BCIT INSPIRE Campaign. He serves as co-chair and director of the charitable organization Educating Girls of Rural China Foundation, which works to transform the lives of women and communities in rural areas of western China by providing access to education. Don brings experience in human resources and executive compensation through his senior executive roles at Canfor.
Board and Committee Membership and Attendance
As of December 31, 2022
|2022 Voting Results||Board and Committee Membership||Regular||Special||Overall|
|89.9% votes for||Board of directors||7 of 7||6 of 7||93%|
|Human resources and compensation (chair)||4 of 4||100%|
|Safety, health and environment||3 of 3||1 of 1||100%|
Other Public Company Boards in the Past Five Years
|Canfor Corporation* (TSX)||2017 to present|
|Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated* (TSX)||2017 to present|
* Canfor Corporation indirectly holds a majority controlling interest in Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated. The entities have an integrated management team, with overlapping management teams and directors. Board meetings of Canfor Corporation and Canfor Pulp Products Incorporated are held concurrently.
As of December 31, 2022
|Year||Cameco Shares||DSUs||Total Shares
|Market Value of
Shares and DSUs1
|Multiple of 2022
(at market value)
1. Based on total holdings calculated using $30.69 for 2022 and $27.58 for 2021, the closing prices of Cameco shares on the last trading day of the year on the TSX.
2. For evaluating compliance with Cameco’s share ownership guidelines, Don’s DSUs held at December 31, 2022 are valued at $3,181,091 and represent 15.9x the board member retainer of $200,000.