Rabbit Lake Licensing Renewal
In April 2021, Cameco applied to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) to begin the process to renew the Rabbit Lake licence. Cameco is requesting an indefinite licence term, for the remaining life of the operation, and the hearing is anticipated to be held in June 2023. The current licence is valid until October 31, 2023.
- The site has mature management systems in place and would continue to operate within the established licensing basis
- The site would continue to monitor and report on the environment, radiation protection, and health and safety performance at the operation
- The site would maintain its financial assurances and review and update the preliminary decommissioning plan every 5 years
During the current licence term, Rabbit Lake successfully transitioned to a safe state of care and maintenance. Rabbit Lake was able to do this while consistently implementing management systems that ensure the health and safety of workers and the public, as well as protect the environment. Throughout this period:
- Workers were safe and properly protected.
- There were no releases that harmed the environment or health and safety of people nearby.
- All treated water released from the facility met regulatory requirements and was safe.
- Environmental monitoring consistently showed that fish and plants were safe to eat.
- Cameco engaged with northern stakeholders to keep them informed of our activities.