An Integrated Nuclear Fuel Supplier

Blind River
Port Hope
Cameco’s facilities in Blind River, Port Hope and Cobourg, Ontario provide integrated nuclear fuel processing services.

Cameco provides refining, conversion and nuclear fuel manufacturing services:

  • Blind River refinery, Ontario - refines uranium concentrates from around the world into UO3
  • Port Hope conversion facility, Ontario - converts UO3 to UF6 or UO2.
  • Cameco Fuel Manufacturing Inc., Ontario - manufactures CANDU fuel bundles and reactor components

Cameco provides about 25% of the world’s UF6 conversion capacity and we are the world’s only commercial supplier of natural UO2.

Approximately 80% of the UO3 received at Cameco’s conversion facility is converted to UF6, which is then exported for enrichment. The remaining 20% is used to supply CANDU reactors throughout the world with natural UO2.

Cameco also has agreements to manage the procurement of fuel and fuel services for Bruce Power Limited Partnership (BPLP) operating CANDU nuclear reactors at the Bruce B generating station in Ontario, Canada.

One ton of natural uranium can produce more than 40 million kilowatt-hours of electricity. This is equivalent to burning 16,000 tons of coal or 80,000 barrels of oil.