Cigar Lake Licensing Renewal
In November 2019, Cameco applied to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) to begin the process to renew the Cigar Lake licence. Cameco is requesting a 10-year licence and the hearing will be held in April 2021. The current licence is valid until June 30, 2021.
During the current licence term Cigar Lake completed construction activities and successfully transitioned through commissioning to commercial production. Throughout this period:
- Workers were safe and properly protected.
- There were no releases that harmed the environment or health and safety of people nearby.
- All treated water released from the facility met regulatory requirements and was safe.
- Environmental monitoring consistently showed that fish and plants were safe to eat.
- Cameco engaged with northern stakeholders to keep them informed of our activities.