Each year Cameco receives a substantial number of worthy requests for support, and each year the company targets one percent of after-tax net earnings to go toward community initiatives and projects.
Our community investment program encompasses relationships with dozens of communities in which we operate in Canada, Australia, the US and Central Asia. It is built on the fundamental belief that supportive communities are a key measure of the company's long-term success.
We focus on four areas:
- youth – supporting projects from preschool to high school and throughout the community
- education and literacy – creating opportunities for young people in the communities where we operate
- health and wellness – supporting projects that improve access to health services for our employees and their neighbours
- community development – supporting programs and projects that contribute to prosperity and quality of life in the community, building infrastructure for the future and strengthening local economies
Cameco's people provide important leadership to community organizations and campaigns. Through our employee giving program, we match eligible employee donations dollar-for-dollar, doubling the impact of the generosity of our staff.
Cameco employees and our union partnership set a Saskatchewan United Way record by raising more than $1 million in the last two yearly campaigns. Our 2012 campaign – announced in January 2013 – topped $1,023,000.
Who We Are Helping
We support many ongoing projects, initiatives and events:
- Flin Flon Bombers – 2012-13 season
- Cameco Touchdown for Dreams – Saskatchewan wide
- Cameco Learning Studio – Remai Art Gallery campaign, Saskatoon
- Cameco Dream & Believe hockey camps – northern Saskatchewan
- Cameco Family Day at the Saskatoon Zoo
- NORTEP/NORPAC science facility – northern Saskatchewan
- Cameco Family Day Skating Party – Cameco-Meewasin Skating Rink, Saskatoon
- Cameco MS Neuroscience Research Centre, Saskatoon
- Cameco STARS Program – Blind River, Ontario
- Elliot Lake St. Joseph's Hospital – early cancer detection equipment
- Scientists in Schools – Kawartha Lakes Region, Ontario
- Northumberland Hills Hospital – Maternal Child Care Program
- Cameco Cowboy State Challenge – Future Farmers of America, Wyoming
- Chadron Community Hospital – Nebraska
Making a Difference - Île-à-la-Crosse's Dream and Believe camp hosts Cameco's new tv ad