We operate Smith Ranch and Highland in Wyoming as a combined operation. Each has its own processing facility, but the Smith Ranch central plant currently processes all the uranium and the Highland mill is currently idle. Together, they form the largest uranium production facility in the United States.
In 2013 we expect to start production from the North Butte satellite operation with final uranium processing also at the Smith Ranch-Highland processing facilities.
- Operated by Cameco Resources, a 100% wholly owned subsidiary of Cameco
- Smith Ranch has proven and probable reserves of 6.3 million pounds U3O8 at an average grade of 0.09%
- North Butte-Brown Ranch has proven and probable reserves of 3.3 million pounds U3O8 at an average grade of 0.08%
- uses environment-friendly in situ recovery (ISR) mining technique to extract uranium
- Licensed annual wellfield capacity (including North Butte) 3 million pounds U3O8
- Smith Ranch-Highland processing plants have combined licensed annual production capacities of 5 million pounds U3O8
- ISO certification ISO 14001 certified
- in 2012 production was 1.1 million pounds U3O8
- Total production under Cameco ownership 2002 to 2012 15.9 million pounds
- Smith Ranch-Highland along with their satellite operations provide direct and indirect employment for about 445 people in Wyoming.