BLIND RIVER REFINERY
Environment and Safety
Cameco's highest priorities are the health and safety of people and protection of the environment.
We are committed to:
- keeping risks at levels as low as reasonably achievable
- prevention of pollution
- complying with and moving beyond legal and other requirements
- ensuring quality of processes, products and services
- continually improving our overall performance
Quarterly reports summarizing environmental data are submitted to the CNSC, other regulatory agencies, the Municipality of Blind River and the Mississauga First Nation.
In 2002 the Blind River refinery was registered under the ISO 14001 program, an internationally recognized standard for environmental management systems. This establishes a permanent framework to assist us in reaching our environmental protection goals, and allows us to demonstrate our commitment to sound environmental performance. The standard calls for annual independent audits and re-certification every three years.
In 2012, the refinery became a facility regulated under the Toxics Reduction Act. The act requires regulated facilities in Ontario to:
- track, quantify and report annually on the toxic substances they use, create, release, dispose, transfer and contain in products
- develop plans to reduce the use and creation of these substances
- make annual reports and summaries of their plans available to their employees and the public
While preparing toxic substance reduction plans is mandatory, implementing the plans is voluntary.
Cameco's health and safety management program is based on the British Standard Institute's occupational health and safety management system guidelines, ensuring that our framework and philosophies are comparable to safety systems used elsewhere in the world.
Cameco's Blind River facilities have an exemplary safety record. In 2000 our safety performance was recognized by the Industrial Accident Prevention Association and Human Resources Development Canada. The Blind River refinery has won Cameco's highest safety honour six times.
The Blind River refinery reports environmental incidents to regulatory agencies as required by federal and provincial regulations. As part of our commitment to keep residents informed about what's happening at our facility, we also provide information about environmental incidents that could be of interest to the community on this website.
FOCUS ON SAFETY
The Blind River refinery has...
|Larger Photo||(1 photo)|