Cameco's community investment program is designed to help enhance the quality of life for residents in the communities in which we operate, as well as our hundreds of employees and their families who live in these communities too. We focus on four key areas: youth; education and literacy; health and wellness; and community development.
We support many ongoing projects, including:
- Cameco STARS Program — providing gift vouchers and other incentives to schools to be used as awards for student accomplishments or as encouragement for improvement
- Newspapers in Education — an opportunity for children from regional schools to write articles, letters or poems that are published in the newspaper
- Community Appreciation Day — about 100 employees participate in this annual event, going out into Blind River and other nearby communities to do odd jobs (e.g. cleaning parks and beaches, painting public playground equipment and picnic tables, and raking at the seniors' building)
- Employee giving campaign — supporting a different charity or local cause every year through payroll deductions and a matching donation from Cameco
- Summer programs for kids, including a soccer league (elementary and high school students) and a day camp (elementary students)
- Community bulletin boards — sponsoring print and radio bulletin boards for non-profits to advertise their events
We have also supported:
- Blind River District Health Centre
- Blind River Community Centre
- Blind River Volunteer Fire Department
- Huron Pines Public Golf Course
- The Rotary Centennial Community Gazebo
- Mississauga First Nation Cultural & Sports Complex
A full list of organizations receiving financial support in 2011 from Cameco's fuel services division is is available under DOWNLOADS at the right of this page.